Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 August 2009

War Horse

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo



This book was about a horse that lived on a farm in England. Suddenly World War One breaks out and Joey (the horse) is forced to join the war. He is looked after by many people before is put on a charge near the trenches. This unfortunately leads to him and his friend being captured by the Germans and used to carry injured back to the hospital. He eventually escapes and makes it back to the British side where he is looked after and finds his old master and friend Albert. I found this book hard to put down. I like Michael Morpurgo's books and I have read others of his such as: Kensukes Kingdom and Alone on a Wide Wide Sea. I am giving it 9/10.

MB


This is a very short book and can be digested in a matter of a few hours. I found it moving and extremely intelligently written. As described it is the story of a horse told by the horse of his experiences and how he ended up going to war. Sometimes it is in a very matter of fact style which you would expect from a person (or animal) who does not understand the enormity of the experience. It finishes with a mixed happy and sad ending (don't worry I will not spoil it for you) It was poignant that I was reading this at the time Harry Patch the last survivor of Passiondale was being buried. Makes one think.......I give this an 8 out of 10

JB





Overall 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment