Total Pageviews

Thursday 19 August 2010

The Amber Spyglass


The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
Third book in His Dark Materials trilogy.

This final book in the trilogy was quite a hard book to get into. As this was one of the books that I read on my latest holiday in Germany, I managed to get through it in about a week which was quite good as it was 600 odd pages long. By this book there were so many characters  in different worlds with so many different problems to deal with all relating to one big element, Dust. It is then the mission of Lyra and Will to help prevent the church from winning the battle against the rebellion. This proves difficult as they have to deal with double agents and also many other species from different worlds. This final book was quite a sad ending to the three books as Lyra and Will were forced never to see each other. I enjoy the style of writing of Philip Pullman and he is in my top three favourite authors. I hope to read more books from him in the future. I am giving this 8/10.
MB

This is the third and final installment of Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy.  The story by now is incredibly complex with characters able to move at will through the thousands of holes from one world into another.  The children Lyra and Will attempt the most difficult of tasks which is to go into the world of the dead.  They get there and manage to understand what happens when people die and what becomes of their spirit.  The book is very intense and moves from one cliff hanger to another.  Pullman does pull it off however by the end I was exhausted.  The ending does leave one with a feeling of unfinished business but I won't spoil it by giving it away.  I recommend this and suggest that it is an excellent series.  It is clear what Pullmans thoughts are on religion and the affect of the church on the population. I will leave it to you to make up your own mind.  I give this an 8 out of 10
JB

Overall, our score is 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment